* Definition of policy
* Definition of policy manual
* Purpose of the policy manual
* The importance of policy manual
* Advantages of policy manuals
* Types of policy manuals
* Content of the policy manual
* Policy development.
* Narrative description of policies
* Preparation of manual
* Preparation of manual
* Approval Sheet
* Critical analysis
The following explains in detail the development and implementation of administrative manuals, its importance and structure.
It attaches great importance to know to make a policy manual, but above all to apply and use it, save it in a way managers work, and makes the company has more structure.
Way to achieve objectives. “It’s a permanent plan provides general guidelines to channel management thinking in specific directions
Policy Manual Definition:
Document includes general intentions or actions of the administration is likely to occur under certain circumstances.
Policies are the attitude of senior management. Written policies provide guide lines, a framework within which operational personnel can work to balance the activities and objectives of senior management as appropriate to the conditions of the social organism.
Purpose of the Policy Manual:
* Present an overview of the organization to the proper organization.
* Specify general expressions to carry out actions to be undertaken in each administrative unit.
* Provide expressions to expedite the decision process.
* Be useful for guidance and information to staff.
Facilitate decentralization, provide clear guidelines intermediate levels to be followed in making decisions.
* Serve as a basis for a consistent and effective administrative review.
Importance of Policy Manual:
Its importance lies in that it represents a technical resource to help staff guidance and support to state policies and procedures, or provide quick solutions to the misunderstandings and show how the employee can contribute to achieving the objectives of the organization.
It also helps managers not to repeat information or instructions.
Benefits of the Policy Manual:
* Written policies require that managers think through their courses of action and pre-determine what actions are taken under different circumstances.
* It provides an overview of action for many cases, and only unusual issues requiring the attention of senior management.
* It provides a framework within which the administrator can operate freely.
* Written policies help ensure fair treatment for all employees.
* Written policies generate internal communication security at all levels.
* The policy manual is a source of original knowledge, fast and clear, to place new employees in office.
Types of Policy Manuals:
* General Policy Manuals:
Cover the entire social organism as a primary element includes all the general provisions such as fixed rate, which unilaterally sets each area the impact of their own functional responsibilities and authority.
* Specific Policy Manuals:
Dealing with an operational role, department or section in particular.
Policies Manual Contents:
A manual should contain no more than strictly necessary points to achieve the objectives of the manual expected and maintain necessary controls.
* Objectives of the Manual Index
How to use the manual
Reviews and recommendations
* Policy Statements
The index is a list of contributions in the manual. Ie is a scheme to which he can add numbers or letters of the alphabet as a reference.
This section should include a brief introduction of the policy manual. Its purpose is to explain to the user manual which is the document which seeks to achieve through it, its scope, how to use this manual and when will the revisions and updates.
Should focus on a brief explanation which covers the policy manual.
Using the Manual
Tells the user everything you need to know to use the manual.
Patches and Updates
Indicates who should be contacted for signal changes or corrections, or make recommendations regarding the policy manual.
This section graphically represent the organizational structure.
* Policy Statements.
This section shall be submitted in writing policies in narrative for each of the administrative units concerned.
To carry out the policy statement suggests the following method:
1. Develop a list of policies, operational function (finance, personnel, internal audit, etc.) Applicable to the social organism in question.
2. Discuss the list of policies with the heads of each operational function:
* Determine a list of policies that really are required to define.
* Specify the limits to reach policy.
* Determine a policy priority for development.
* Submit a draft policy and discuss with officials from the relevant department for their respective acceptance or modification.
* Adoption of policies by senior management.
* Integrate policies on the manual as they are approved.
NARRATIVE DESCRIPTION OF POLICY
1. PURPOSE. Describe general and brief in order to be achieved by establishing a policy.
2. DEFINITION. Describes the basic concepts that are invoked in politics.
3. CONTENTS. Describe in numerical order according to their importance, the specific guidelines necessary for the implementation of the policy.
4. RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR NOTE. State the (s) organizational units should observe the practices of politics.
PREPARATION OF MANUAL
The initial step in preparing a “Policy Manual.” Is to determine what you want to achieve.
Having determined the objectives, should be put in writing, each manual has its reasons for being, all administrative manuals also have a common purpose: “Get better results.”
Then begin the preparation of the manual itself, initiating the processing of information, ie, integration of process itself.
PREPARATION OF A DRAFT OF THE MANUAL.
The development of this draft should be placed for consideration by senior management, heads of department and possibly some key employees.
This draft should be carefully reviewed, in order to make any changes. Since then the suggestions for the definitive advantage may come from more different hierarchical levels (heads and employees).
For the preparation of the manual is very important to standardize criteria in both the terminology and the presentation of information in order to maintain a sense of continuity and unity.
May arise during the development of policy manuals some difficulties to determine policies and rules in writing, because special interests can produce resistance or disinterest successfully determine the manuals. or in the specifications that do not operate in the manner prescribed mission.
Some of the policies that deal with middle or lower hierarchical levels are commonly made by the leaders in their respective areas.
FORMAT. To achieve an efficient policy manual to help carry out administrative work should carefully consider the “format” to be presented to each book, as it largely depends on the ease of reading, reference and study. In addition to enabling fast and accurate referencing and inspire confidence in their appearance and order.
Page numbering. After selecting the format, I must say how to number the pages. There are three methods for numbering the pages of the policy manual are:
a) Consecutive numbering of pages. It is the easiest method.
But also the least flexible. In this method, the pages are numbered consecutively from number 1.
b) The numbering of pages in sections. Is that the pages of each of the sections are numbered consecutively and each page number is preceded by the section and a hyphen.
Page Header. Is to establish a specially demarcated area on top of each page and contains some basic information such as title policy, control number, organizational unit, dates, and currency, etc.
Once developed the policy manual and power. Facilitate its implementation, is recommended to be approved by involved:
* For the. Senior management, to provide the dependability and support.
* The administrative unit responsible for speaking on the process involved, to ensure compliance with the correctness of its contents.
* In the unit responsible for the development of administrative manuals, if any, or group of technicians in your case.
* The external consultant where necessary.
DISTRIBUTION CONTROL MANUAL.
The “distribution” of the policy manual is a sensitive issue, especially
in large organizations. It should be clear that a manual should not be distributed in full to all members of the body.
In particular enough that junior staff only receives instructions on policies to adopt. Only. Administrators, managers and department heads, can receive complete editions.
Labeled as having been given approval to the policy manual by the competent bodies is one of the elements that should always appear in the manual.
REVISIONS AND UPDATES.
Policies are outdated and to maintain their effectiveness. Should be reviewed periodically in a systematic way to be rearranged and re-stating, according to the opportunities and conditions. .
Finally subtract counter obsolescence, will need to plan revisions and updates by the administrative unit and responsible (systems and procedures, organization and methods) or its equivalent.
UPDATES TO UNEVEN, consists in carrying out updates as needed (some policy change, elimination, restructuring, etc.)..
REGULAR UPDATES. Is to establish a program of regular updates. Must be made according to a review of program policy manuals. Guando least once a year and if the sections are changing rapidly. Such review shall be required twice a year.
RECOMMENDATIONS FOR THE UPDATE. From a general standpoint, it should seek views both for and against an existing policy, trying to get the facts, analyze and apply the criteria in the most impartial way possible.
I attach great importance that a company has a policy manual that in the latter lays down rules and procedures to ensure effective and appropriate management of the entity.
I can also mention that consists of a detailed description of the guidelines to be followed in making decisions to achieve the objectives. Knowing an organization provides the main framework upon which all actions are based.
A workable definition of policies and their establishment in writing, to:
a) Expedite the decision making process
b) Facilitating decentralization, to provide guidance to intermediate levels.
c) To provide a basis for an effective review.
Policy manuals can be developed for operational functions such as production, sales, finance, personnel, procurement, etc.
Furthermore, establishing the responsibilities and tasks for each administrative area, as well as their rank in the organizational structure.
Valencia Joaquin Rodriguez, How to use and develop administrative manuals, Policy Manual, Chap. 6.
Cristina Martinez Gonzalez