2. Design Objectives of SQL Server
Microsoft SQL Server 7.0 release is a determinant for database products from Microsoft, continuing the strong foundation established by SQL Server 6.5. As the best database for Windows NT, SQL Server is the RDBMS of choice for a wide range of corporate and Independent Software Vendors (ISVs) who build business applications. The needs and customer requirements have led to the creation of significant product innovations for ease of use, scalability, reliability and privacy.
2. Design Objectives of SQL Server
Customers are looking for solutions to their business problems. Most of the “solutions” database only bring multiple levels of cost and complexity. Microsoft’s strategy is to make SQL Server database is easier to use to build, manage and deploy business applications. This means having to make available a programming model for developers to quickly and easily, eliminating management database for standard operations, and providing sophisticated tools for more complex operations.
SQL Server 7.0 reduces the total cost of ownership through features such as multi-server management and a single console, performance and job alerts based on events, integrated security, and administrative scripting. This version also frees the database administrator for more sophisticated aspects of work by automating routine tasks. By combining these powerful management services with new features automatic configuration, Microsoft SQL Server 7.0 is the ideal choice for branch automation and database applications inserted.
Customers investing in management systems database, as applications written for that database and education involved for the implementation and administration. This investment must be protected: As the business grows, the database will grow and handle more data, transactions and users. Customers also want to protect investments as they scale database applications to laptops and branches.
To meet these needs, Microsoft offers a single database engine that scales from a laptop running Windows (R) 95 or Windows 98, to clusters of symmetric multiprocessor terabyte running Windows NT Server Enterprise Edition. All these systems maintain the safety and reliability of systems that require mission critical business.
New to launch version 7.0 is a low memory trace capabilities of multi-site replication. It fits very well to the growing needs of the mobile computing market. The other features such as line-level locking dynamic, intra-query parallelism, distributed query, and improvements for very large databases (VLDB) make the SQL Server 7.0 is the ideal choice for high-tech systems and OLTP data warehousing systems.
While processing systems remain a key component of the infrastructure of corporate databases, companies are also investing a lot in improving the understanding they have of their data. Microsoft’s strategy is to reduce the cost and complexity of data warehousing while making technology more accessible to a larger audience.
Microsoft has established a comprehensive approach to the whole process of data warehousing (data storage). The objective is to facilitate the construction and design of data warehousing solutions cost effective through a combination of technologies, services and partnerships with suppliers.
The Microsoft Alliance for Data Warehousing is a coalition that unites industry-leading data storage and applications. The Microsoft Data Warehousing Framework is a set of programming interfaces designed to simplify the integration and management of data warehousing solutions.
Product innovations in SQL Server 7.0 improves the process of data warehousing: Data Transformation Services, improved handling of complex queries and large databases, online analytical processing and integrated, and the Microsoft Repository. Another essential component is the extensive support for third-party integration.
Innovations allow SQL Server 7.0 is the leader in several categories of fast-growing application in the database industry. These include e-commerce, mobile computing, branch automation, online business applications and data marts inserted.
The areas of leadership and innovation in the Microsoft SQL Server 7.0 include
* The first database in scale from the laptop to the company using the same code base and offer 100% code compatibility
* The first database in support of self-configuration and self-tuning
* First database with integrated OLAP
* The first database with Data Transformation Services Integrated
* The Data Warehousing Framework is the first comprehensive approach to the problem of metadata
* The database management in multi-providing server to hundreds of servers
* The widest range of options for replication of any database
* Better integration with Windows NT Server
* Better integration with Microsoft Transaction Server
* Recent Releases SQL Server
This section provides a concise history of recent SQL Server releases. A complete history of the development of SQL Server, from the beginning until the release of 6.5 is available from within the Microsoft SQL Server 6.5 by Ron Soukup, published by Microsoft Press, ISBN 1-57231-331-5.
* The Standard Edition of SQL Server was released in April 1996.
* The Enterprise Edition was released in December 1997. Additional features were included in this edition such as support for Microsoft Cluster Server, 4GB RAM tuning, Ingls Query and systems support up to 8 processors.
* The current service pack for SQL Server 6.5 SP4 is released in December 1997. SP3 was released in June 1997, in December 1996 SP2 and SP1 in August 1996.
* Beta 1 was released in June 1997 to 200 clients. This group included a limited number of independent software vendors (ISVs), authors of books, course materials designers, OEMs and some corporate accounts. No copies were made available to the press or analysts. This release focused testing low-level functionality and programming interfaces.
* Beta 2 was released in late December 1997 to 3000 customers. Covering corporate accounts and ISV community was greatly increased, and added international accounts. Were given copies of Beta 2 to the press and analysts in the Examiners Workshop held on 21 and 22 January.
* The Beta version will be released Marketing the second quarter of this year with high availability.
* The manufacturers launch is planned for the second half of 1998. The Standard and Enterprise editions of SQL Server 7.0 will be released simultaneously.
Microsoft SQL Server revolutionizes the concept of Database for the Enterprise. It brings together in one product the power to review any business application with some management tools that minimize the cost of ownership. With SQL Server Microdoft, the company has all standard.
Thousands of Available Solutions: Will freedom of choice, as all market management applications running on Microsoft SQL Server
* Scalability: Fits the needs of the company, supporting from a few to several thousand users. Business centralized or distributed offices, replicating hundreds of sites.
* Power: Microsoft SQL Server is the best database for Windows NT Server. It has the best records of the independent benchmarks (TCP) transactions both in total and in cost per transaction.
* Management: With a complete graphical interface that reduces unnecessary complexity of the tasks of administration and management of the database.
* Oriented Development: Visual Basic, Visual C + +, Visual J + +, Visual Interdev, Microfocus Cobol and many other tools are compatible with Microsoft SQL Server.
The best Internet database, Internet and Extranet.
* Designed from the ground up to work in Internet and Intranet environments, Microsoft SQL Server is able to integrate these new developments for specific environments with legacy applications developments “traditional”. Furthermore, each application that we develop to be used in LAN environments can be used transparently, in part or in whole environments-from Internet, Intranet or Extranet.
* Platform easy and open development: integrated with the best Internet technologies such as ActiveX, and Microsoft Transaction Server ADC with the best tools for management and development as FrontPage97 Internet, and Microsoft Visual Interdev Office97.
* Designed for INTERNET: manager is the only database that contains an integrated the ability to generate HTML content automatically.
* The Embedded Database: Full integration with BaclOffice solves all the infrastructure needs of the company with a single package.
* Powerful and Scalable: Microsoft SQL Server is the only database whose performance is posted on the Internet, offering spectacular records.
* Low cost of ownership: The simplicity of installation and power management tools and the lower cost of the entire Internet industry environments, Microsoft SQL Server make the best choice with the lowest cost.
* Server architecture symmetrical and parallel with automatic load balancing across multiple processors.
* Kernel real multithread best transactional performance and scalability.
* Support large databases (VLDB) (+1 TB).
* Full interactive transaction processing with automatic rollback and roll-forward recovery.
* Improved query optimizer based on cost.
* Checkpointing improved for better data throughput and response time.
* Support E / S for asynchronous parallel access to multiple disk devices for better throughput.
* Fixed level blocking lock escalation page, automatic deadlock resolution.
Distributed data replication.
* Remote Procedure Calls server-to-server (remote stored procedures).
* Asynchronous Replication or based DC records, tables or scheduled synchronization point-in-time.
* Replication Configuration graphical management features.
* Replication ODBC subscribers, including IBM DB2, Oracle, Sybase and Microsoft Access.
* Ei Distributed Transaction Coordinator manages transactions involving two or more SQL servers (Two Phase Commit process 2PC) transparent.
* Replication of data types text and image.
<> Data Warehousing data and extensive support.
* Execution transactional parallel data loading and indexing, and integrity checking.
* Backup / restore high-speed parallel that supports up to 32 disk or tape devices.
* OLAP query extensions, CUBE, and ROLLUP allow multidimensional result sets.
* INTO EXEC and stored in tables now allow results from stored procedures.
* Backups to tape and recovery of individual tables.
* Rebuilding index without dropping and recreation make the index.
Internet and email integration.
* MAPI, allowing workflow applications and data change notification automatically.
* Support for Microsoft Internet Information Server and other popular Web servers.
* SQL Web Assistant for automatic return data in HTML format.
* Stored Procedures to generate HTML pages or update data in web templates.
* Ability to automatically populate Microsoft Exchange public folder data.
Centralized management and administration of databases.
* SQL Enterprise Manager, a management console and engine 32-bit Windows-based visual.
* Single point of configuration and management of remote data control.
* SQL Executive, scheduler and monitor for proactive management of distributed servers.
* Remote Operations neglected by an “intelligent agent” that includes event-alert-response.
* Scripts Visual Basic through-SQL Distributed Management Objects (SQL-DMO) based on OLE.
* Assistant DBA, for automatic maintenance routine in a single scheduled task.
* SQL Trace, to monitor client-server queries using SQL stored in log files.
* Support for SNMP MIBs and traps to monitor SQL Server from management tools based on SNMP.
Availability, reliability and fault tolerance.
* Device Mirroring database with automatic failover for fault tolerance devices.
* Backup online neglected ensuring data consistency for higher availability.
* Contexts protected user, you can isolate faults to a thread of a single user.
* Recovery point-in-time to restore databases or transaction logs in a time interval.
* Fault tolerance Server, enabling automatic failover to a backup server or waiting.
Improved programmability and language.
* Triggers, Stored Procedures (autoexec), trigger events before and after connections.
* Extended stored procedures (user defined functions) using C / C + +.
* Cursors based engine with forward and backward scrolling; absolute and relative positioning.
* Statements within transactions permitted DLL.
* Distributed Transactions interfaces within-Librery DB, ODBC, Transact-SQL, and OLE XA Transaction.
* OLE Automation Stored Procedures.
* A unique ID for both network login to the DB to improve safety and ease of administration.
* Password and data encryption to enhance the security network.
* Encryption of stored procedures for the integrity and security of application code.
* Interoperability and integration with desktops.
* DB-Library API standard fully supported: Level 2 standard ODBC API fully supported as native.
* Gateway Open Data Services (ODS) programmable for transparent access to external data sources.
* Gateways for Microsoft and third-party data sources, relational and non-relational, including IBM DB2.
* Support of important standards like ANSI SQL-92, FIPS 127-2, XA, SNMP.